FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect

By  |  0 Comments

FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect

By Dr. Cynthia Crosser  

Lately we’ve heard so much in the news about weight loss and how the keto diet has been of great benefit to many in need of losing those few pounds. This diet is very low in carbohydrates and high in fats. The diet consists of 60% fats, and the remaining 40% to be the combination of proteins and carbohydrates. A keto diet is a very-low carbohydrate diet that pushes your body into ketosis whereby it is switching your fuel supply to fats vs. Glucose. Due to the lowered level of sugar in the diet, insulin levels drop and fat burning increases dramatically. This helps if you wish to lose weight; you experience less hunger and have a steady supply of energy. Other benefits include improved cognitive function and many disease fighting benefits including anti-aging and anti-cancer fighting effects.  

There are four types of ketogenic diets, but the most “palatable” seems to be that of the cycling ketogenic diet whereby the adherence to 25-50 grams of carbohydrates daily and moderate daily protein are followed Monday through Friday while increasing carbs to 150 grams on the weekends. This is a more moderate version and easier to integrate socially. But, EATER BEWARE! It’s not just any fats. Required fats are the healthy fats such as ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, nuts, and nut butters. Quality is key on this diet for maximum nutrient content across all food categories.

In addition, this style of eating or dieting does come with some caution. There are potential side effects and I personally would never recommend this for the long term. Initially, many will experience the “keto flu” for a short time which may manifest as headaches, fatigue, soreness and some have even experienced hair loss. This is definitely not an eating style for anyone with a thyroid disorder, autoimmune disease, or for women desiring to become pregnant, just to name a few. 

I would recommend that anyone interested in embarking on this journey only consider doing so under the supervision of a doctor well-versed in this diet as well as weight loss. In weight loss, it is best to always have a full blood panel done to know where you are starting and to utilize as a monitoring tool, as well as having the advice of supplementation and lifestyle modifications that you might have to make to follow the keto diet. This is not a diet to consider without professional assistance and being well-versed in this yourself. It is most beneficial to initiate the weight loss with some caloric tracking, but the goal is ultimately to be able to eat high quality, healthy foods, in appropriate quantities and know where you might need supplementation, which varies amongst individuals. 

So many variables, including genetics play a part in losing and maintaining a healthy weight. 

To view my webinars on the Keto Diet, please go to my website at                         www.crossernaturalhealth.com.  And with your health . . . don’t take chances!

Wellness within reach!

Pike Creek   302-994-1010

3101 Limestone Road, Suite B, Wilmington, DE 19808  

www.crossernaturalhealth.com 

www.facebook.com/crossernaturalhealth

www.instagram.com/crossernaturalhealth

Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Weight loss, Neurofeedback, Nutritional Counseling

FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect

Headshot by Shannon Adelson of Adelson Media, Inc.

Share this:
FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE . . . How The Keto Diet & Weight Loss Connect