Prepare to Be Your Best
SAT/ACT Test Tips
Long- and short-term test-taking tips for the SAT and ACT exams.
Long-term preparation focuses on academic performance in general, not just on the test at hand. It’s what students do in high school to prepare for college, through a program of solid academic courses that build fundamental math and verbal skills. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors all have the time to build the academic skills needed for a successful college career. In addition, when exam time comes, you will be even better prepared.
Long-term preparation focuses on:
• Reading more effectively, to comprehend what the author means as well as what the author says.
• Improving your vocabulary, plus learning better tools to figure out new words from the context in which they are used
• Developing problem-solving abilities, including ways to get started on challenging problems when you don’t know what to do.
Short-term preparation involves learning a number of speciﬁc test-taking tips. When you understand the reasoning behind how the test questions are written, it will give you an edge in answering them. There are many different books, tapes, computer programs, school courses, and courses offered by private companies, such as Huntington, that teach these strategies for students who need to study with a crash course.
Specifically, short-term preparation involves practicing and knowing:
• How to relax
• When and how to guess
• What to expect on the test
• How to identify the easiest questions
All the directions for each type of question on the test
• How to pace yourself
• Hints for answering each type of question
Remember that the SAT and ACT are like any other academic tests, and what you get out of your preparation is directly proportional to what you put into it. The better you study and prepare for the SAT or ACT, the better you will do. Higher SAT or ACT scores leads to more admission and scholarship opportunities.
Now is the time for high school juniors to prepare to take the SAT or ACT during the spring testing cycle.
Call today to discuss how Huntington can help your student.
Hear what parents are saying about Huntington
• I just wanted to thank you, the staff, and the wonderful tutors at Huntington Learning Center for the SAT and ACT test preparation for Taylor and Whitney. We were truly surprised and please that both girls got a 200+ point boost to their scores. Each daughter started in a different spot, had different goals and tutoring time, but had similar, excellent results. While the format of your program is very structured, I especially appreciate the customization to each child. I also want to thank you for being an extremely helpful college testing and application consultant. We would (and have) highly recommended the program for other families that needed flexibility and high quality tutoring. Thank you again, and we’ll be back again with daughter #3 in a few years.
• I just wanted to let you know that Courtney was offered a full tuition scholarship to Arcadia University. They told her that her ACT score was what really put her over the top…I know Courtney deserves the majority of the credit for all her hard work and dedication throughout her school career, and the extra effort she made this summer to take Huntington’s prep course and do additional homework over her break, but I really want to thank the teachers who worked with her and you, specifically, for suggesting she take the ACT.
I hadn’t ever considered that test, and no one at her school mentioned it either.
Founded in 1977, Huntington Learning Center has offered supplemental education services longer than any other provider. Parents often contact Huntington when they receive a particularly alarming report card or other communication saying their child is falling behind. Many also reach out to Huntington because they are concerned their child may have poor study skills, or difficulty in performing to grade level in reading and math.
Maggie Lage is the Executive Director of the Huntington Learning Center in Newark
34 Liberty Plaza | Kirkwood Highway | Newark, DE 19711
For more information or to schedule a consultation at the Newark location
call 302-737-1150 or visit www.newark.huntingtonlearning.com